04 June 2010

Food for Thought Friday: At 71, Will You Be Moving Pianos?

Food for Thought Friday. I will give you something to reflect upon each Friday. 

Today is my dad's 71st birthday. I am thankful that I still have him around. In fact, my dad is still stronger than me. (He helped move a piano last year and still rips engines out of cars.) He rarely gets sick. (I'm still not over whatever virus I recently caught.) He's still "with it" and has a sharp tongue and wit. (He loves to make fun of me.) My dad continues to be the rock in my family. (He is supporting me while I find a job and does most of the chores, especially since my mom has not been feeling her best.) It is honestly hard to believe that he seems so young at 71, or that he actually is 71.

I am truly grateful to my father and all that he has done for me and my family. As an adult, I appreciate both my parents more than I did as a child. I can only hope to be as generous, industrious, and solid as my dad. 

I wonder how another few decades will treat me. It is hard to say, especially as I would never have imagined the last five years of my life going the way they have. If I play my cards right, maybe I'll be moving pianos when I'm his age. How do you see yourself in your 70's? 

More and more people are living into their 100's. My great-grandma died a couple of months shy of 103. The good don't die young any more. It's important to find your own path. Live life and enjoy it. We are in for the long haul. 

"We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same." --Carlos Castaneda

0 comments:

Post a Comment